Thomas O'Neill born Liverpool 1879 wife Mary Ellen Warren father of Alexander O'Neill huband of my grandfather's sister Catherine Rodaway served on RMS Campania, and RMS Lucania as a Fireman
RMS Campania was a British ocean liner owned by the Cunard Steamship Line Shipping Company, built by Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company of Govan, Scotland, and launched on Thursday, 8 September 1892.
Identical in dimensions and specifications to her sister ship RMS Lucania, Campania was the largest and fastest passenger liner afloat when she entered service in 1893. She crossed the Atlantic in less than six days; and on her second voyage in 1893, she won the prestigious Blue Riband, previously held by the Inman Liner SS City of Paris. The following year, Lucania won the Blue Riband and kept the title until 1898 - Campania
being the marginally slower of the two sisters.
HMS Campania (1914)
The sinking of Campania
Whilst awaiting demolition, the Admiralty stepped in at the last minute and bought Campania with a view of converting her to an armed merchant cruiser that could carry seaplanes. The original idea was to use float-planes which would be lowered into and retrieved from the water by a crane. The conversion was carried out at the Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead. Her interior was completely gutted, and room made inside to store up to 14 aircraft. She was also equipped with eight 4.7" guns.
The conversion was completed in 1915, and trials took place under Captain Oliver Swan of the Royal Navy, with Charles H. Lightoller as the first Officer (formerly second officer of Titanic). Two weeks later she joined the fleet at Scapa Flow as HMS Campania, and subsequently began manoeuvres in the North Sea. Her job was to send aeroplanes ahead to scout for the German fleet.
After a short period, it was decided to add 160 ft (49 m) flight deck at the front of the ship, to enable aircraft to take off directly from the ship without being lowered into the water. Trials following this conversion indicated that the deck was too short, so it was extended to 220 ft (67 m). The alterations required the removal of the forward part of the superstructure, and the first funnel (which was replaced by two narrower funnels on each side). The aft deck was cleared and the aft mast removed, so that she could also serve as an Observation Balloon Ship. Campania now bore little resemblance to her original configuration.
HMS Campania served with the Admiralty right up until 5 November 1918?just six days before the armistice was signed, when she was involved in an accident in the Firth of Forth during high winds. Campania dragged her anchor in a sudden squall, and at 03:45 struck the bow of the battleship Royal Oak and then dragged along the side of the battle cruiser Glorious. She began to sink stern first. A few hours later an explosion?presumed to be a boiler?sent her to the bottom.
Because of the shallowness of the water, she was considered a danger to shipping and large charges were placed on the decks to demolish her. By 1921 the wreck had been reduced to a safe clearance depth. Further to this destruction it is reported that salvage of valuable metals took place on the wreck, possibly during the late 1940s and the 1960s. Despite this damage, the wreck site today is classified as being of historical importance and came under the jurisdiction of the Protection of Wrecks Act in 2000.
Walter Carter born 1912 Fleetwood
RNVR, LOWESTOFT DIVISON no/PX 229435
Living at 53 Poulton old Rd Layton Blackpool with wife Emma
signed up 4th November 1940 as a Seaman
FIRST SHIP HMS Shemara (FY026
Capt. ( Henry Noel Marryat Hardy, DSO, RN 21 Sep 1939 10 Mar 1940
Lt.Cdr. Henry Buckle, R 10 Mar 1940 early 1946
Owned by LORD and LADY DOCKER, TOP PHOTO PRE WAR, BELOW 1941
History OVERFALL (Ad.No.3990).1918: Launched by Colby Brothers Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.94) (?Admiralty drifter?) for The Admiralty as OVERFALL (Ad.No.3990). 29.10.1918: Completed as a minesweeper. 4.11.1918: Arrived Devonport.
Anti-submarine trawler PETER HENDRIKS 12.1947 Renamed "LORD RIVERS
FROM ..THE COMMANDING OFFICER, H.M.S. LEEDS DATE 23rd June 1941... ..REF. S2/30 TO .THE CAPTAIN (D), ROSYTH SUBJECT REPORT ON CONVOY E.C.36 from the NORE to MAY ISLAND. REPORT June 21st to 23rd, 1941 SUBMITTED.
Commander E.R. Taylor, R.N.R. in the Polish Ship "KATOWICE". Vice-Commodore.
Escorts. H.M.S Leeds.(Nore - Methil) H.M.S. Valorous. (Nore - Methil) H.M.S. Holderness. (Nore - 18B Buoy) H.M.T. Tango. (Sunk - 57A Buoy) H.M.T. Lady Philomena.(Sunk - 18B Buoy) H.M.T. Peter Hendriks.
(Additional cover provided by H.M.S. Eglinton and H.M.S. Walpole.
Also 7 Fishing Trawlers from Humber to Pentland Firth. Includes H.M.Tug"Stalwart" towing A.F.C.12, counted as one ship. 1. Convoy E.C.36 (Slow) consisting of 44 ships under the escort of H.M.S. Leeds, Valorous and Holderness, left the Nore Lt at 0630/21. A good start was made favoured by fine weather. 2.At 1540 in the vicinity of 54E Buoy two mines exploded, one under the fore part of s.s.Gasfire and the other 50 yards to starboard of her. Nos 1 and 2 holds flooded and Nos 3 and 4 making water - No serious casualties. H.M. Trawler "Peter Hendriks" took off survivors and attempted to tow wreck due West out of channel -
1 9 4 1 July 10th on completion of Acceptance Trials prepared for service in Home waters with 3rd Submarine Flotilla based in the Clyde. JULY 19th whilst on passage to Clyde for Flotilla service accidentally rammed off the Wash and sunk by HM Trawler PETER HENDRIKS which was part of escort of Convoy FS44.
The boat was on a work up patrol and left Chatham on the 18th July and stopped overnight at Sheerness on the Ise of Sheppey to wait for assembly of a north-bound merchant convoy leaving the Thames and gathering off Southend. The boat then set out for Dunoon Scotland and the Clyde to join the 3rd Submarine Flotilla and was under way on the surface following the northbound merchant convoy EC4 in a swept corridor around the East Anglia and then towards Scotland.
A Heinkel attacked the convoy and Umpire crash dived to avoid it (as per standing orders) but on surfacing, one of the diesels developed a fault on the night of the 19th July and had to be shut down. This reduced Umpire's speed and a radio message was sent to the Commodore of the convoy, reporting this. A Motor Launch was sent back as escort but lost Umpire in the gathering darkness.
A second merchant convoy was expected travelling south, also in the swept channel and both convoys passed starboard to starboard, which was unusual. Umpire spotted the southbound convoy and altered course to port to avoid a collision, but was rammed by a Royal Naval armed trawler "Peter Hendriks". Umpire suffered damage to the starboard side and sank within 30 seconds in about 60 feet of water. The skipper and the OOW Tony Godden were on the bridge with two lookouts when the submarine sank beneath them, leaving all four in the water.
The remainder of the crew and two offices ers were trapped in the hull which was gradually filling with water. Four made an escape from the conning tower without DSEA while the remainder made their escape from the engine room with DSEA. the chief ERA was awarded the British Empire Medal for walking about on the submerged hull to check the crew were escaping safely. A total of two officers and twenty men were lost, the wreck is classified as a war grave and lies some 20 nautical miles north of Wells-next-the-sea Norfolk.
18th Anti-Submarine Group - anti-submarine trawlers ELSE RYKENS (SO, Sk W B Cowie RNR), NEIL MACKAY (Sk W C King RNR), PAUL RYKENS (Ch Sk G C Lawrence RNR), PETER HENDRIKS (Sk G Bryan RNR), all at Scapa Flow
Built 1935 Deutsche Schiff n Mschb -A G Seebeck, Wesermunde Germany as "Peter Hendriks" (Steel) Yard No 528 ID no 162293 Owner at New Aberdeen Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (George Massie manager) Launch Date 1935 Completed 08.1935 Gross Tons 266 Nett Tons113 Engine 90 hp C.2-cyl by Deutsche Schiff n Mschb -A G Seebeck, Wesermunde Germany (Turbine ) Length 127.6ft Breadth 24.1ft Depth 12.9ft Owners 15.08.1935 Registered at Aberdeen A.315 1938 Walter Rhind appointed manager. 11.1939 Requisitioned and converted to Anti Submarine Vessel (P.No.FY.260) attached to 18th Anti Submarine Group. 19.06.1941 Collided with and sank HMS "Umpire" (540g/1940) 20 miles north of Well next the Sea Norfolk with the loss of 22 crewmen. 02.12.1942 Owned by Northern Trawlers Ltd, London (William Albert Bennett, Grimsby manager). 02.1946 Returned to Owners.
Bosun.on S.S DALEWOOD 20th AUG 1941 Charles Thompson. MN. Of 104 Birchington Av, S Shields for meritorious sea service .S.S "Dalewood". Mined in North Sea 20th Aug 1941.
Dear Sir, as a token of appreciation of the good service which you rendered to the National effort by keeping "Dalewood" afloat and bringing her into port, the Minister of War Transport has authorised us to award to you the sum of ,20 and we wish to send a cheque but before we do this, will you let us know where you would like us to send it so that you can obtain it without undue loss of time. not sure of the amount paid copied as written could be £20 ?
those who died
FOWLE, JOHN WILLIAM WRIGHT Rank: Chief Engineer Officer Date of Death:20/08/1941 Age:44 Merchant Navy S.S. Dalewood Grave Reference: Ward 30. Sec. C.C. Grave 99. Cemetery: SUNDERLAND (BISHOPWEARMOUTH) CEMETERY
Pickering, Samuel Watson Rank: Fireman and Trimmer Unit: S.S. Dalewood Force: Merchant Navy Nationality: British Blyth (Cowpen) Cemetery Sec. J.J. Cons. Grave 2050. 20th August 1941. Age 32. Husband of Maud Ellen Pickering of Blyth.
Date of Death:20/08/1941 Age:29
Merchant Navy S.S. Dalewood
Panel Reference: Panel 34
TOWER HILL MEMORIAL.
son of Arthur and Susanna Moody;
husband of Ida M.Moody
On JUNE 19th 1943 leading Seaman Walter CARTER crew
Member on HMT PETER HENDRIKS was paid the sum of £1 pound 17 shilling and 4 pence for assistance rendered by HMT Peter Hendriks TO S.S DALEWOOD ON THE 20TH aug 1941, This I would think be for towing her to safety, record found on Walters Carter?s service record
The HMS Brinmaric was a wood over partial steel frame motor yacht that was converted to a minesweeper and used in the English Channel during World War II. Built in 1938, by Camper and Nicholson of Gossport, it had a gross tonnage of 106 tons. She was powered by two Gardiner Diesels with twin screws. Originally owned by Eric Fox of Fox's Glacier Mints, she was requisitioned for war service on the 7th of November 1939. The Brinmaric was used as a Harbour Defence Patrol Craft, as part of the Royal Navy Patrol Service based in Lowestoft, beginning in 1940 before becoming a minesweeper (mine recovery) in 1943. During the evacuation at Dunkirk the Brinmaric escorted the Poole fishing fleet across the Channel. The Brinmaric also participated during the laying of the P.L.U.T.O. (Petroleum Line under the Ocean) pipeline. She was equipped with state of the art electrical sounding equipment that surveyed the ocean floor.The Brinmaric was one of the first ships into Le Havre France in 1944, according to my grandfather and verified by Mr. McCarron. When the Brinmaric was de-commissioned at the end of the war all the navy gray paint had to be removed by heating iron boxes filled with charcoal. This was then placed on the paint to soften it. The paint was then scraped off to prevent scorching the wooden hull. The Brinmaric was returned to Fox's in 1946, and it was taken to Norway by Mr. Fox on the 12th of June 1948 for an exhibition. In 1950 She was taken to Belfast for a Confectioners exhibition and was caught in a storm on the way back, but the Brinmaric suffered minor damage while a nearby French trawler fleet was almost completely wrecked.
The name BRINMARIC came from the first names of the Fox family members, BR-IN-MA-RIC
(BRUCE,IAN(His brother) MAY (HIS MUM)AND ERIC).
PHOTOS WITH THANKS TO KEITH WILLIAMS http://hmsbrinmaric.com/content/history